Tuesday, June 28, 2005

On the Street Where You Live

Leaving a little early for work, I stopped in the middle of the road twenty feet from my driveway yesterday. There was a curvaceous bird of prey above, uncharacteristically soaring toward rather than away from me. These are usually Turkey Vultures leaving, but this time it was a Mississippi Kite approaching! The little songbirds who usually sing me on my way were quite disturbed by this newcomer.

Of course, I didn't know it was a Mississippi Kite until later. My best looks at birds seem destined to occur when I don't know what I'm looking at. I have seen distant Mississippi Kites before, pointed out by those who know more of shapes and soaring than I. But here was one in my neighborhood, and I had to get to know it all over again. Thankfully, my street doesn't have much traffic, or he would have remained a stranger.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the middle of the road???

1:10 PM, June 28, 2005  
Blogger Lynn said...

Never fear--my street is even smaller and less-frequented than yours. And since it is brick, nobody really wants to drive it fast. : )

2:46 PM, June 28, 2005  
Blogger Courtney said...

That's great! I really haven't yet seen much of the birds of prey. Many congratulations!

1:42 PM, June 30, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home